Believe it or not, Elton John can be a huge motivator for paying off debt.
Today’s guest is, Melissa Thomas, the founder of MelissaTheCoach.com where she writes about money, and helps people pay off debt and get their financial life in order. Melissa discovered Elton John when she was 14 years old and has a goal of seeing as many Elton concerts as she possibly can. (So far she’s seen 36 concerts!)
In this episode we talk about her goal of paying off debt by the time she was 40, why Elton John was her biggest motivator for paying off debt and living a financially savvy life, what she and her husband had to do to break 20 years of bad financial habits, how Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University was her saving grace, and even the hilarious story of how she started a dog sitting business.I never knew that living outside of paycheck to paycheck was normal. -@melissathecoach… Click To Tweet Do I want to buy the bag of chips or pay off debt to see Elton John? -@melissathecoach… Click To Tweet The people who support you and the people who get you are sometimes different people.… Click To Tweet
- Why she went into teaching
- How Elton John changed her life when she was 14 + motivated her to pay off debt even faster
- Got rid of $43,000 in debt
- How important budgeting was for getting rid of the debt
- What they had to do to change 20 years of bad money habits
- The Christmas that caused their life to change
- Her philosophy of not buying your dream home, but buying something that will give you cash-flow. This gives you the income to live the life you want.
- Melissa’s budgeting tips
- The hilarious story behind starting a dog sitting business
- Couponing and how she started self-teaching
And much more! If you are now part of #TeamMelissa, check out her website to learn more about her story.
Nick– I started a HSA account and plan to fund that as well for retirement. #moneywin
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast and leave a review. It means the world to me!